Cloud computing is being used by more organizations worldwide, both large and small. As growth predictions emerge, we're seeing a clearer picture of what the near future of IT will look like. Latest research shows that Software as a Service (SaaS) and cloud-based business application services will grow from $13.4 billion in 2012 to $42.2 billion in 2016, a five-year CAGR of 19.1%.
As you would expect, many of those jobs are with cloud infrastructure or service providers, though there are plenty of other potential employers as well. Quite a few job openings mention specific certifications. Others don’t, but you can bet that having an appropriate credential on your resume will help boost you to the top of the “to interview” list.
Even though you might not feel an immediate need to become a cloud expert, given these trends, it's a good idea to start thinking about developing skills that will be in demand in the near future.
Skills Required for Boost Your Career in Cloud Computing
- Enterprise Architecture: Becoming an expert to drive the design and implementation of the cloud solution will be a must.
- Application Development: In a cloud world, this means knowing how to build high performing, cloud-enabled applications that can be accessed from anywhere, at any time.
- System Administration: This role is definitely not going away, but it's definitely evolving from its traditional sense. The new focus will be on network, OS, virtualization and application administration.
- Network Security: Security is named as one of the top concerns with the cloud. Securing the cloud network will be a key area where resources will be required.
- Data Integration and Analysis: Cloud is helping to create a data explosion that requires expertise in designing and managing analytical systems and processes that have big data in mind.
- Project Management: Given the complexity that comes with cloud transformations, possessing solid project management skills will be critical.
Best Cloud Certification for Your IT Career
To help you find the best cloud certification for your needs, we’ve compiled a few lists of top cloud certifications. What’s best for one IT can be pretty unhelpful for another, especially on a crowded and exciting playing field like cloud computing
Cloud Administrator Certifications:
Top-notch credentials oriented to the day-to-day operations, configuration, and troubleshooting of cloud technologies
Cloud Architect Certifications:
Best for those of you with design skills and aspirations, whether it be developing enterprise-level private clouds from the ground up or infrastructure on a less-grand scale such as developing cloud storage solutions
Cloud Developer Certifications:
A handful of credentials of particular value to software engineers seeking to ply their trade in the cloud
The certifications on these lists cover public and private cloud technologies, a broad expanse that includes Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS).